What is a Wax Vaporizer?
A wax pen, which also goes by the name dab pen, is an electrical heating device made specifically for vaporizing concentrates or essential oils. A vaporizer can come in various different sizes, heating coils and even features. Sizes vary from a thin pen to a large handheld device. Different features include being able to change the temperature at which your atomizer heats up to, auto shut-off option, different heating coils, and many more. Wax pen vaporizers prices can range from $20 to $200.
How a Dab Pen Works
A wax vaporizer pen is generally the easiest vape pen to use because of its simplicity. Some aspects are similar to how a dry herb vaporizer works by putting your material in, heating it up and inhaling. With a concentrate vaporizer, the packing portion is a bit different as you must be very diligent. Wax pens usually come with a dab tool which lets you scoop up your oil to dab it on the atomizer. Atomizers can vary so depending on your coil and atomizer, you might want to be more careful as some are more brittle than others. Once you put a bit of your concentrate on the coil, close the mouthpiece and press the power button. Your waxy oils will start becoming more liquid and oily which will start to run around your atomizer. You can simply scoop it back up and put it back on the coil to reuse.
Benefits of a Wax Pen Vaporizer
The benefits of a vaporizer wax pen are unlimited from discreet to quick uses. The amount of people using a dab pen over a dab rig is astonishing and it’s only increasing.
- Discreet: One of the reasons why people switch to a vaporizer to begin with is the discretion you have from it. Smoking can still be considered a taboo in many places so having the ability to have use something and get away with it provides a step above smoking. It also helps you not smell bad after using it since the odor from a vaporizer is very minimal.
- Eliminate Toxins: You don’t need a scientist to tell you smoking can be very harmful for your health. Smoking creates extra toxins along with exposure to tar. This can do a lot of damage in the long run. Vapes are known the heat the material just enough to release the active ingredients whereas smoking is just burning the whole material.
- Fast and Quick Hit: Not many people have time to heat up a wax nail with a torch. Wax vape pens help this process by given you the opportunity to load your chamber and vape it all within a minute.
- Portable: Most of us are busy throughout the week but we still want to take a nice hit really quick. Portable wax vaporizers let you do this when you’re on the go.
- Save Money: A portable dab rig may be good to use when you’re surrounded with friends at a party but a wax pen is going to save you much more money. It’s not easy to break one and the only thing you need to replace is the atomizer, which are generally inexpensive. Dab rigs are generally made from glass and it can be very easy to break it. Glass is also pretty heavy, not easily mobile, and pretty expensive.
- Flavor: Being able to control the heat being expelled from your coil is very important. Using a dab rig, you must heat it up until it’s glowing red hot but a concentrate vape pen can be semi-controlled. Playing around with the power setting can definitely give you a leg up on finding the right flavor.
Parts and Accessories
A concentrate pen consists of a few different parts which work together. The first part is the battery. The battery can come in many different types from small too big or variable voltage to standard stationary voltage. The size is usually associated with how big the battery is which ultimately holds charge longer. Picking a variable voltage battery will give you the opportunity to heat the coil up more than a standard battery. This can affect the battery life along with how long the coil can last before it needs to be replaced. Variable voltage batteries generally range from 3.2Volts to 4.8Volts. Vape pen batteries have a 510 thread connection but have recently been coming out with a magnetic clip attachment.
An atomizer and coil are together but are one of the most important parts because it will judge the quality of your vapor. From taste to the thickness of the cloud, the atomizer can effectively give you a good wax vape experience.
- Dab Tool: One of the most used accessories on a wax weed vaporizer is the dab tool or the dabber. This is a small metal pick which a sharp end and a flat end. You use the end to gently put it on your atomizer, generally with the sharp end.
- Carry case: Some wax vapes come with a carry case to carry your oil vape pen around. This helps it from smelling or potentially even breaking in your pocket.
- Vubbler: Not all are 510 threaded but for the ones that are, they can be used with a vubbler, or a vaporizer bubbler. Just like a regular water pipe, you fill it up with water and put your concentrate directly on the coil. Attach it to your battery and heat it up.
Wax Vape Heating Coils
As mentioned earlier, a wax vape pen can come with different coils but the main one’s ceramic, quartz or titanium. They have different advantages to all three but at the end of the day, it’s all on your preference. You can choose which material you want your atomizers to be but they come in a variety from single rods, double rods and triple rods. The more rods there are in the atomizer, the bigger your hits will be.
- Ceramic – Ceramic is generally a good bet because they are resistant to very high temperatures. This will ensure you do not burn off toxins or crack it. These work great with high viscosity waxes that are thick or solid. Flat ceramic plate atomizers are generally the safest because you do not deal with silica or even metal coils. They also give the best flavor because they burn at a lower temperature. It does not give off a plume of vapor but it helps make sure it tastes better.
- Titanium – Titanium is fairly good too but can often give a funky taste depending on the quality. If it is made of good quality, you will notice it because it does not become brittle after 20-30 uses.
- Quartz – Quartz is another really good option because of its high temperature resistant element. You do not have to worry about burning off much toxins. Quartz however does not absorb any wax so you will definitely be burning most of it off.
- Wick – A wick atomizer is generally good for thinner and less viscosity wax oils like the ones that are already runny or more liquid-like before you vaporize it. These are good because they absorb into the wick as you’re heating it up which can give you the ability to go back for round 2 or round 3 without having to re-load the coil. Silica wicks are generally wrapped around a titanium coil like our most popular and best seller, the Glass Globe Vaporizer.
Different kinds of Wax
- Live Resin: One of the most popular forms of concentrated wax, the live resin usually preserves most of the active ingredients that others kinds of wax lose during the extraction process.
- Shatter: Shatter looks like thin layers of glass and just like glass, they can shatter since they’re so brittle. This is one of the only kinds that you can use without a dab tool. Just simply break off a piece with your fingers and lay it on the coil.
- Crumble: Crumble is a popular form of concentrated marijuana because it’s made the most. It is a dry form and it looks like small rocks or crumbly cheese. A tool is usually necessary for this as some crumble can be wetter than others.
- Budder: Budder resembles dry butter, almost like the name says. It is not hard enough to break or snap so you need to continue to use a dab tool for this. Rather than the sharp end of the dabber, use the flat end.
- Full Melt: Also referred to as oil, it is exactly as the name says. It is wax that is fully melted. It is runny and can turn into liquid once it is heated. The sharp end of the tool is needed for this as it can get messy.
- Co2 Cartridge: Wax can come in cartridges too which are just screwed into a battery and vaped. This is usually done through the co2 extraction process and then filled up in regular vape cartridges.
Tips for a Dab Vaporizer
- Make sure if you purchase a dab pen, you know if it’s specific to waxes or dry herbs also. A hybrid vaporizers is also a dry herb and wax vaporizer pen, which can vaporize both materials. Wax vape pens come with special coils that will not have enough contact or enough heat in the chamber to vaporize.
- Having a deep dish chamber atomizer will help you vape longer without reloading as much. However, it can be harder to load smaller amounts. It also does not help when you want to scoop the bottom of the atomizer for runny liquid oil and reuse again.
- Always remember to not dab the coil too hard. After using it several times, it will get very brittle. You can still use it but it can break easier.
- If the wax pen you want has a good warranty, it does so for a good reason. Manufacturers that stand behind their product will have a good warranty set up.
- Always remember that these are electronic devices. With electronics, you tend to get what you pay for. With today’s technologies, wax vaporizers are lasting longer. If you want a dab vaporizer with nice features, pay a bit more. Buy it once and don’t worry about it later.
- Make sure you prime the wick if your atomizer contains a wick. Making sure the wick is absorbed in oil is better to make sure it lasts longer. It helps the wax vaporize more efficiently too.
How to Choose from the Best Wax Vaporizers?
- Budget: The first thing you need to think of before you dive into the different wax vaporizers is the price. Prices can vary from $20 – $200+. Some are very basic with just a battery, mouthpiece and a small wick atomizer. Higher range units will have variable voltage battery, several different atomizers, etc.
- Portability: Make sure you know what you want. If you want an at home unit, you can use some high end desktop vaporizers. Most people will be using this when they’re out the house and want something reliable. Find a portable wax pen if that’s what you want.
- Efficiency: Make sure to read reviews because making sure your atomizer and battery vaporize efficiently. If a small dab of wax creates big plume of vapor, that’s efficient. Taste of the vapor matters too.
- Battery Life: You want to know your battery is big enough to last you a while. This means you need to sacrifice space because the bigger the battery the longer it will last. You want to find the highest mAh in a battery while making sure you keep it compact.
- Temperature Control: Batteries having variable voltage or temperature control settings is very important. Not all concentrates are the same. Some need a higher temperature and some need lower so making sure your vaporizer can change temperature is a unique feature.
- Different Coils: If your vape comes with different coils, this is a giant plus. You can use this as a trial and error to find which one you like the most. Different coils are going to give different results.