Last updated on November 19th, 2019 at 10:34 pm
Smoking dry herbs have been a cultural phenomenon for many years starting with the benefits of cigarettes being advertised as “cool” with commercials of doctors smoking. Now we have a cultural phenomenon with recreational cannabis and it is becoming reality across the United States which gives a new emergence of healthy stoner culture. The crux of this cultural shift is the rise of the dry herb pen. There are tons of dry herb vapes on the market at variously ranging prices and different sizes with different power sources. The more inexpensive vapes tend to be combustion which will still give off some harmful side effects as smoking would. For truly healthy vaping spend a little extra for the true vaporizer that doesn’t apply direct heat to the dried flowers. The problem with combustion is that it gives off toxic byproducts instead of the beneficial cannabinoids only like a real vaporizer should.
Cannabis is preferably vaped at 356°F, which is the sweet spot where all of the cannabinoids and terpenes are perfectly baked. After reaching 392°F the cannabinoids begin to burn off and at 420°F, it starts to burn the THC. A butane lighter can burn up to 2012°F which can cause lung cancer and tons of respiratory disorders. Up to 88% of smoke that is combusted is non-cannabinoids and instead is made up of up to 111 different components including carbon monoxide, toluene, and naphthalene. Alternatively, vapors emitted from vaping cannabis are up to 95% cannabinoids and only 5% of other natural plant terpenes. So that’s the science, but what are the basic benefits from switching over from traditional smoking to vaporizing?
Using an Herbal Vape vs. Smoking
Smoking herbs is a practice that has been performed as far back as recorded history can recount. It has a rich history that spans across multiple and diverse cultures. The process of smoking dry herbs entails heating up your dry herb to a hot 1000 degrees Fahrenheit which can be easily achieved with any household match or lighter. The high-temperature results in the combustion of the dry herb in which then the resulting smoke is then inhaled.
Vaping, on the other hand, is not a relatively new technology as it has been performed many years back. Vapor is created through indirect heat, which is called conduction. Vaporizers let you heat the dry herb to a specific temperature, just enough to heat the active ingredient into vapor. The result of this is dry material that is not burnt to ash.
While conventional smoking of cannabis is a lot cheaper and more accessible than vaping it with the use of portable electronic vaporizers, vaping your material potentially has a whole lot more benefits over simple combustion. You’re not inhaling any smoke which is a giant reason to switch over. You also don’t smell as much.
Eliminate Harmful Toxins
Smoking is mainly the same thing overall, meaning using different materials will still have adverse effects. When the same dry herb is vaporized, however, carbon monoxide levels are drastically reduced if not totally eliminated. This served as a good indicator that many other toxins that are released as a result of dry herb combustion were absent as well.
Doesn’t Smell as Much
Another great benefit of switching over to vaping your dry herb instead of smoking it is that vaping produces much less odor compared to smoking. This can be very helpful for those who share their living spaces with other people. The characteristic smell of smoking will permeate throughout your home.
The reduced odor produced by vaping is also helpful to prevent the familiar smell from sticking to your clothes, your other belongings, and most of all, in your house. This can be valuable when you’re the type who routinely has guests over (or housemates who have guests over) as it’s much easier to keep your recreational hobby as discreet as possible.
Better on Your Lungs and Throat
Due to the lower maximum heat involved when vaping, the vapor produced is a lot cooler than the smoke produced by conventional combustion. This makes every vaping session you have a lot easier on your throat as you’re not habitually inhaling hot smoke through your throat. This provides a more pleasurable and comfortable vaping experience.
Another potential health hazard that’s avoided by vaping your dry herb are the multiple toxins which are released upon combustion. Just like smoking cigarettes, combustion of dry herb does result is potential tar making its way into your own lungs. Vaping your dry herb totally negates this effect making it safer and healthier by a large margin. To avoid this with vapes, make sure you get a convection vaporizer unit.
Convection and conduction heating methods are very important to understand. Convection is true vaping where your herbs do not touch the heating coil directly. Instead, the heat from the chamber vaporizes your herbs. Conduction is where your herbs are touching the coil directly, therefore burning it into char. To give an example, conduction is touching the hot pan on the stove and getting burnt, convection is getting burnt from the steam coming from your pan. If you have any throat or lung irritation, watch out for this.
Easier to Dose Your Herbs
Thanks to the ability of electronic vaping devices to accurately heat your dry herb within a specific temperature range. This makes it easier for those who use dry herb more for its medicinal effects. The high temperatures involved in combustion or burning dry herb usually mean that the active ingredient is instantly released in one burst, creating a more intense hit than what some are looking for. However, the high temperature can also destroy some of the active ingredient.
The relatively lower heat of vaping gives you more control over how much of the components inside your herbs are release. This helps allow you to experience benefits such as pain relief and relaxation, without too much. Some claim they switched over from smoking to vaping because they can handle it better.
Not only is vaping much more discreet when it comes to smell, it’s a lot stealthier in terms of appearance as well. Thanks to the popularity of e-cigarettes designed to vape nicotine e-liquids, it’s not uncommon to see personal vaping devices being used in public. While there is often some confusion between vaporizers designed around herb and those for e-liquids to the uninformed public, in general, portable vaporizers are generally accepted by the public eye.
What this means for you is that by vaping, you aren’t constrained to toting attention-grabbing cigarettes. You’re also much less likely to attract the disapproving looks of your neighbors or housemates who might not agree with your recreational habits either.
Save Money in the Long Run
While purchasing your first dry herb vaporizer might prove to be a costly investment, it’s well worth it in the long run. However, they don’t need to be. Herbal vapes start from $20. There is very little waste involved when using a vaporizer. This is especially true if it has an enclosed convection oven when compared to smoking your herbs. All that precious vapor is directly inhaled instead of dissipating into the air in between puffs.
Produces Better Flavor
One of the biggest advantages of vaping is the much-improved flavor you’ll be getting out of it. When smoking, it’s not surprising that the end result in terms of flavor is often the characteristic burnt taste with small hints of the slightly familiar flavor of dry herb.
Since vaping doesn’t burn the herb at all, that means all the vapor you’ll be inhaling is only full of the pure flavor of your chosen strain. This way you won’t be tasting or inhaling of that nasty tasting smoke. If you think you like the taste of smoking your herb, just wait until you try vaporizing it.
Senior Citizens Prefer Vaping
With the ability to help ease chronic pain, glaucoma, arthritis, stress relief and sleep issues, it is surprising that seniors 55 and older haven’t become interested in cannabis sooner. Part of the stigma attached to cannabis for this generation stemmed from the 1930’s Reefer Madness phenomena that used fear tactics to make parents think that cannabis would make them sex crazed lunatics. This was actually part of a marketing campaign to stigmatize the utility hemp industry that has finally begun to lose steam in this modern age. With vaporizing as an option seniors are finding no reason not to utilize this natural medicine and stop taking prescriptions with side effects that lower their quality of life. Seniors are finding power in their lives again because they are able to remove the prescription haze that once hindered their daily life. Vaporizing is an amazing option because it drastically reduces the risks of lung cancer and respiratory illness. It is also a less harsh way to inhale the flowers which is preferable for seniors. Vapes simply make medical cannabis more accessible to seniors.
Athletes find Vaping More Attractive
Cannabis can help to reduce stress in the mind and body which will help an athlete’s recovery team after a workout. Unfortunately smoking is not ideal for an athlete who cares for the health of their body. Edibles could be an option but most edibles are made with fattening or sodium filled ingredients. Similarly trim for making your own edibles is hard to get ahold of with wax becoming such a craze so that option isn’t always available either. Some might even replace smoking cigarettes with chewing tobacco which can cause a whole plethora of other problems including jaw and tongue disease. Herb vape pen are the healthiest option for any intelligent athlete and it actually makes the cannabis more effective.
Travelling Medication with Discretion
Sure there are some vaporizers that still emit smoke and a cannabis smell but these are usually combustion style vapes which we’re not talking about here in this article. A great benefit of dry herb vapes is that you can take your meds on the go without attracting any extra attention like when you travel with your vaporizer. Dry herb vapes won’t leave any residue smell on your clothes or breathe which adds another level of discretion to the process of medicating. For true discretion wax and oil pens are truly great for the super duper necessity discretion like a concert or family event. Vaping has the best economical and health benefits to remain properly medicated in absolutely any setting or situation
Dry Herb Vaporizer Health Benefits
There are many advantages of using a dry herb vaporizer instead of smoking. Every day we discover more and more negative side effects from smoking. Technology is advancing every day and access to information is evolving every day as well. For these reasons it is only natural that we find people are more frequently discovering and choosing to use a herbal vape pen as an alternative to traditional smoking. We have known for years how dangerous, harmful and unhealthy the smoking process along with inhalation of smoke is to humans. This is one of the primary reasons people are making the switch. We are seeing this trend growing exponentially not only throughout the US but also the rest of the world.
Aside from the benefits of a dry vaporizer for these niches it also has some super practical benefits. First of alln it takes less dry herbs to enjoy or relieve pain because you’re not burning out all of the cannabinoids. This will inevitably save you money after not needing to re-up on meds as quickly. By vaping it at the prime temperature you’ll be able to get the full flavor profile and enjoy a more cooled down vapor that won’t burn your throat. Simply stated, you’ll just feel better after switching over to vaping because you will cease inhaling horrible carcinogens from the combustion.
Why Using a Dry Vape Pen is Better than Smoking?
Using an herbal vape pen is a much healthier alternative to all forms of smoking. This is true whether you prefer to use glass, paper, wood or whatever. As more studies and experiments are being done by doctors and scientists,smokers are becoming more knowledgeable in knowing a vaporizer instead of smoking will ensure that you inhale less carcinogens and toxins from combustion. Smoking and the whole combustion process produces hundreds of toxic chemicals, many of which are clearly dangerous to humans when we inhale them. This also can be hurtful and dangerous for your pets, which many people are only recently starting to consider. Smoking hurts people, imagine what it can do to cats, dogs and other kinds of family pets. Here are some of the most dangerous diseases to humans caused by these chemicals that are produced from cigarettes :
- Lung Cancer – Unfortunately, more people die from lung cancer than any other form of cancer, killing almost 800,000 people. Smoking is believed to be responsible for over 85% of all lung cancer. 80% of patients die within 5 years of being diagnosed.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) – Another lung disease that will make it hard to breath and also hard to stay active. Patients often experience shortness of breath simply climbing a flight of stairs or walking outside to check the mail in the morning.
- Heart Disease – This is the most common cause of death in the US. Smoking causes damage to almost every organ in the human body especially the heart. Smokers often experience blockages in blood flow back to the heart due to clogged arteries from fatty deposits. Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) is the most common form of heart disease and is the most common form of heart failure.
- Stroke – Much like heart disease, strokes are often triggered by blockages in major arteries. These arteries deliver blood and oxygen to the brain. When the blood flow to the brain is slowed or blocked it can offer trigger a stroke. Often patients will suffer from paralysis, slowed or slurred speech, altered brain function and death. This is the 4th leading cause of death and leading cause of adult disability in the US.
- Asthma – This chronic lung disease makes if hard for your lungs to breathe ultimately making it hard or impossible to move fresh air in and out. Smoking can trigger sudden asthma attacks often in people who never had one before. This is a growing health concern here in the US affecting over 25 million people and the numbers are growing constantly.
- Diabetes – Smoking is commonly linked to type 2 diabetes. Risk for smokers is believed to be 30%-40% higher. Smoking also increases the risk of many other complications after being diagnosed such as heart and kidney failure, blindness, nerve damage and poor blood flow (often leading to amputation of toes, feet and legs).
Dry Herb Vaporizer Advantages
There are so many other reasons why people making the switch and enjoying the benefits of using a dry herb vape in record numbers.
- Cheaper and herbs last longer – When it comes to dry herbs people are finding out that it’s much more cost efficient. They will also save a significant amount of money when using a dry herb vape instead of smoking. Many tests prove that smoking burns as much as 30-40% of your herbs and you never get to inhale them. Why let your dollars go up in smoke when you can enjoy more of them with a cool vapor cloud. Many people like this process because you can limit usage easier. When you are good to go, you can just turn it off and don’t have to “put it out”.
- Better taste & wider range of flavors/aromas – Often people enjoy the flavors and aromas of certain herbs. When you burn (smoke) the herbs, especially when you re-light and burn them a second time much or all of the beautiful flavors and aromas are gone. Often it will even give off a very bad taste “darker” than before or just taste burnt. Nobody would chose that burnt flavor if they don’t have to. When you make the switch you don’t have to anymore.
- Reduced Smell – One of the most annoying problems with smoking is the smell others complain about. Many kinds of herbs give off very strong aromas and smells. This can spread around the area you are in so everyone will know what you are doing. If you like the option of keeping it discreet you will find the absolute best choice is using a vaporizer. It will not take all the smell away but it will definitely reduce it to a faint smell.
- No wind – Simply put, when you use a vaporizer you never have to worry about the wind again. When you are ready to enjoy your herbs simply turn on your unit and let it warm up. You can then inhale when you are ready. When you are finished simply turn it off. You will never burn yourself with a flame.
So there you have a bunch of the main reasons why people are making the switch and realizing all the different herb pen advantages. If you are ready to make the switch we have some huge discounts on many of the most popular units. Use the coupon code “Benefits” on your next order! The follow are the portable herbal vaporizers we recommend.