What is a Vaporizer?
A vaporizer or a vape is an electronic device that is used to vaporize different materials, rather than burn it by smoking. Vaporizing releases the active ingredients of the material into vapor rather than burning it. As we know, burning something then inhaling the smoke can cause a lot of harmful by-products and toxins to be inhaled. Vapor contains almost zero particulate matters, reduces noxious gases that smoke carries and even gives off much less toxins.
The material can consist of dry herbs, e-liquids, oils or concentrates. They can come in different forms and sizes but for the most part they are made of a steel encasement which holds the battery inside. Batteries can come in all sizes (mAh) but are generally cylindrical and vary from 300mAh to 3500mAh which some of them being removable and others just re-chargeable.
A vaping pen can be used by many people whether they want to replace their current form of smoking or by others who want to stay discreet. People looking to quit smoking cigarettes are the main reason behind vapes. They can help cigarette smokers cut down from their current limit and slowly help them lessen the amount of cigarettes smoked until they have ceased to continue smoking. Medical marijuana users are often looking into vaporizers too as it helps their current ailments. Smoke can be harsh on the throat and lungs but vapor is smoother and much thinner.
Different Kinds of Vapes
Vape pen is the most typical and popular type of device you see. Most people carry these as they’re the best starter kits and most discreet. Some of them can literally blend into your cup of pens at the office. Some vape pens are thicker while others are longer. For e-cigs, they’re usually disposables pens. Herbal vape pens are generally convection heating. Some of them are rechargeable while some can’t be re-charged.
Portable vaporizers are handhelds vapes that can be used on-the-go. They are by far the most popular kind of vape because they can easily be hidden or be used in discreet. Portable vapes got a bad name in the beginning but have advanced lately. They hit just as good as desktop units and are just as efficient. On top of that, you can take it anywhere you want. They’re all rechargeable but some come with replaceable batteries while others are in the unit. The heating method for a portable unit can be either conduction or convection.
Desktop vaporizers are the bad boy of them all and are used primarily for herbs, sometimes wax. This is the device you use when you have a bunch of friends around. A desktop vape can handle much more than a portable vape can since they get hot too quick. Desktop units are very efficient and the quality is second to none. The vapor is either inhaled through a medical grade whip or a balloon bag that is filled with your herbal vapor. They also are not rechargeable. Using a desktop unit, you must plug it into an outlet so the portability aspect is not there.
Types of Vaporizers
Usually when someone doesn’t vape, they are confused as to what it is and ask “What is that person smoking?” Before they ask, “What is a vaporizer?”
Dry Herb Vapes
A dry herb vape or sometimes referred to as a marijuana vaporizer is specifically used for herbs. The different herbs you can vaporize are basil, cannabis, green tea, tobacco, lavender, eucalyptus and much more. Some people opt out of smoking and decide to vape their herbs because of the smoke irritating their lung or throat. One of the biggest differences between vaping dry herbs versus smoking is the temperature control you have. You can change the temperature at which your herbs can be vaporized to make sure you’re getting the most from your unit. Being able to change the temperature is great because not all herbs vaporize at the same temperature.
Dry herb vaporizers can come in conduction heating, convection heating or a hybrid of the two. Portable dry herb vapes are becoming more hybrid because of the efficiency with it. Convection heating is when the herbs are touching the coil directly. These causes combustion which resembles a very similar effect to smoking. Conduction heating is the real vaporization technique. Instead of touching the coil, the herb is placed in an oven chamber that is heated to your preference.
X Max V2 Pro – One of the newest and best triple use pens is the X Max V2 Pro. It comes with the ability to use it as a 3 in 1 which means you can use herbs, wax or liquid/oil as your material. The cylindrical shape was made with the users comfort and grip in mind. It fits in your palm very comfortably. It also comes with the ability to change temperatures from 356°F to 374°F to 392°F to 410°F to 428°F which comes in handy when you’re switching materials often.
Volcano – The German made Volcano Vaporizer is easily the most known and efficient herbal vape. It is a stationary desktop unit which means you plug it in to the electrical outlet to use it. You have the choice of the solid valve set or the easy valve set with the option of the classic or digital Volcano. When you start vaporizing your herbs, a fan blows the vapors inside a balloon bag which then you can detach and take it with you around the house.
Wax Vape Pens
A wax vaporizer, wax pen or dab pen is usually a vape pen that has an atomizer for vaping wax. Wax and concentrates are extracted forms of solid herbs. Dab pens are becoming more popular than ever due to the popularity of dabbing. More units are being catered for this and more wax pens are becoming bulkier, escaping the pen style. More atomizers are available for wax. Wax comes in different forms so different atomizer coils work different from each other. Atomizers range from ceramic, titanium, quartz, silica wick and more. Temperature can definitely effect the outcome too so keep the wax pen around 380°F – 420°F.
Linx Hypnos – One of the best portable pens for dabs is the Linx Hypnos Zero. It is one of the nicest units as it has a sleek stainless steel design with a glass mouthpiece. It uses no glue, paint or fiber so you can ensure half the toxins some companies use won’t be on this. The new upgraded Zero coil is a ceramic plate disc where you can dab onto. This does not have any coils, wires, wicks or anything like that. It is a small plate made of a ceramic atomizer which heats up to your desired pre-set temperature.
Glass Globe Vaporizer – Our top selling and biggest bang for your buck wax vape pen is the Glass Globe vape pen. It has been our companies best-selling unit for 4 years. It is very simple as all it consists of is battery, a globe and atomizer along with its base. Simply dab onto the coil, put the globe back on and blow clouds as you see the vapor form while you inhale.
e-Cigarettes or Personal Vaporizers
Electronic Cigarettes or e-Cigs are what jump started the craze of vape pens and brought them to the lime light. Even though they had been around since 2004, popularity started rising since 2011. They are mainly used to replace and eventually quit tobacco/nicotine all together but many use it as just a past time hobby like a portable hookah. Personal vaporizers comes in different types. Some are pen shaped and resemble a cigarette. These are usually what people start with and are disposable most of the time. They advance all the way to box mods which are larger rectangular shaped boxes that are more powerful than a regular starter kit. They let the user modify the voltage, wattage and even battery. An eCig is generally made up of a battery, atomizer, and e-juice.
E-Cigs are used to vaporize e-Liquids which is a thick liquid oil that usually contains propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, flavoring, and sometimes nicotine. E-Liquid or e-Juice can be bought with different doses of nicotine, depending on how heavy of a smoker you were. As you get used to it, the point is the slowly drop the nicotine level, helping you ween off cigarettes and nicotine all together. Many people use a personal vaping pen to just blow non-nicotine vapor for the fun of it or even as cloud-chasing or competitive vaping. Those are not the same battery or set up as a regular electronic cigarette. People who have been vaping for a while usually use mods which are much more powerful.
eGo-C Twist – The perfect liquid vape pen for those who are getting started and want to learn more about temperature control or vaping in general. The eGo-C Twist comes with all the necessities to get started minus the e-juice. Just simply open the mouth piece on the Ce5+ Clearomizer it comes with and drip the liquid down the side, not getting into the middle needle. Screw it onto your battery, give it a minute for the oil to soak in then slowly take a hit. Switch the battery voltage to your liking.
Innokin iTaste MVP 2.0 – One of the most well-known portable devices in the vape world is the Innokin iTaste MVP 2.0. It has the ability to be modded so you can use a more powerful atomizer with it, change voltage and change wattage. It is very durable and reliable. There is even a video on YouTube with someone trying to destroy through different means and it lasts through a lot.
Dual Use and Triple Use
Dual use and triple use vaporizers are just like the name sounds. They’re use for more than one purpose. Dual vapes are usually dry herb and wax vaporizers but can include wax/e-liquid like the AirVape OM. Triple use vaporizers consist of the whole nine yards. Herbs, concentrates and liquid oils all in one unit. This is done by switching out the atomizers that came with the unit.
Different Types of Materials
Dry herbs refer to different plants and leaves that can be vaporized. Different herbs give different effects from euphoria to a relaxed state. Some are even considered legal stimulants. Some examples of herbs to vaporize are Valerian, St. Johns Wort, Chamomile, Lavender, and more.
Wax concentrates also referred to as dabs or oil are extracted or concentrated form your herbs, generally medical marijuana. They can be extremely potent and come in different forms. Crumble is a dry form that looks like little rocks with sand crumbling off of it. Shatter is a thin layer that almost looks like yellow or clear glass. Full melt is very oily which is why waxes are called oil. They also come in Co2 cartridges that you screw onto your 510 thread battery.
E-juice, also referred to as e-liquid is the liquid oil that is dripped into the e-Cigs atomizer. It can sometimes contain nicotine which is dosed. Nicotine typically comes in 3MG, 6MG, 9MG, 12MG, 18MG, 24MG, and 36MG.
Benefits of a Vaporizer
The biggest benefit a vaporizer can give you is the fact that there is no smoke to be inhaled. It’s all vapor. As said above, smoke contains all kinds of toxins and carcinogens. Vapor eliminates most of this. It also eliminates the stink that comes with smoke. Smoking a cigarette will cause your breath and clothes to smell like smoke. Smoke is also the reason many people get turned off by cannabis. A lot of medical marijuana patients have an irritation in their lungs or throat when they smoke.
Vaporizers are known to savor the flavor of your material. Regardless of what it is, you will taste it better with a vape. Your herbs sometimes even taste like they smell.
In the age where smoking is still taboo, vaping offers a discreet and safer alternative. You can indulge without worrying about others finding it. Of course you need to use some discretion but you’re more incognito with a vaporizer.
More Control and Dosage
Being able to have more control of your vape pen is a big advantage than lighting up a cigarette. Not all cigarettes have the same potency. With vapes, you can finally dose the amount you want by changing the temperature. You can also pack more or less depending on your mood. The temperature with the amount in your atomizer can give you much more control.
You can also dose out your nicotine levels in your e-liquid. Your e-juice is going vary from 0MG to 36MG. Being able to pick the right level is going to matter a lot. Some people start with a nicotine level that is below what they’re used to, which doesn’t help them quit smoking.
Being able to vape anywhere gives you the convenience that smoking cannot. Smoke bothers most people but vapor is very thin so it can barely be seen. It can release some odor but very minimal.
How a Vaporizer Works?
Depending on what material you are vaporizing, they generally work in the same. The atomizers or chambers will definitely look different and thats fine but the process is generally the same. The way vapes work is when you heat up something up to its boiling point, it does not burn it but heats it up to the right temperature where it doesn’t release smoke but vapor. Whether its liquids or solid herbs, your device should be able to heat it up to its boiling point that it only vaporizes the active ingredients rather than the whole thing. Anything more is combusting or burning the herbs which is why we recommend the option for temperature control settings.
What to Look for When Choosing a Vaporizer?
- Heat Up Times: You want to make sure the heat up time isn’t too long. Fast heating up units were only conduction heating methods but with hybrid heating, heating time has sped up.
- Temperature Control: This is one of the most important features, if not the most important. You will most likely be vaping herbs that come in different density and moistness. These will require different temperatures to make sure it’s efficient.
- Power Source: If you want a portable vape, make sure it works with batteries only. Desktop devices will require you to plug it into the outlet. This makes it hard when you want to use it when you’re not home.
- Warranty: Knowing that the manufacturer stands behind their product is a big deal. Some give 5, 10, or lifetime warranty. Keep in mind, warranty is often only on batteries and chargers.
- Heating Method: Knowing if your unit is convection or conduction is important. If you have irritation in your throat, go with a convection unit as these are true vaporizers.
- Type of Coil: Checking what type of coil comes with your wax vape is important. If you are familiar with the different kinds, then pick the one you like. Try to stick with ceramic, titanium or quartz. These will give off the natural flavor.
- Battery: The size of the battery will ultimately depend on vapes longevity before you need to recharge. The longer you can go without charging is better. Some units even have replaceable batteries.
- Temperature Control: Being able to change the temperature is not the most important aspect on concentrate units but it can still give you some flexibility.
- Warranty: Warranty is a big deal as always. The longer the warranty is, the more you can trust that specific vape pen.
- Type of Atomizer: Knowing which type of atomizer you like most will help. Some can resist higher electrical outputs while others can’t. They also differ in the way you prep your oil. Some of them need to be opened from the top and filled in and some from the bottom. New atomizers called squonkers or “bottom-feeder” get filled into the bottom
- Battery: Most electronic cigarettes come with replaceable batteries so you can switch it out anything. This helps with venting too. Older units were small batteries that needed to be charged often. Many box mods even come with the option for dual 18650 batteries.
- Power: Box mods usually come with the option to change wattage or voltage. Some are even the temperature controlled. Changing the temperature or electrical output changes the density of the vapor.
- Shape and style: The shape and style will matter because you will be holding it often. Some like the box mod type that have a rectangular shape. Other vapes are circular like a cylinder that are more comfortable when your hand wraps around it.
Tips on Using a Vaporizer?
- Herbs: When vaping herbs, make sure they tend to be a bit dry. Moist is fine too but if it’s too moist, it will have a hard time heating up. You will likely use a higher temperature for it which will end up burning.
- Preheat your Herbs: If you have a temperature controlled vape, you usually don’t just click the button and start there. It takes time to warm up like your oven does. Therefore, when you pack it in, make sure you don’t just start inhaling. Let it heat up and get a nice thorough heat distribution.
- Ground Up Herbs: Don’t just throw your herbs in there. Make sure it’s ground up. This helps all of it get a nice even heat distribution. It also helps you not waste any herbs.
- Inhale it Slowly: You don’t want to vape like you smoke a cigarette. Try to take your time pulling the vapor out. This helps the vapor get denser which is how you get clouds.
- Trial and Error the Temperature: Finding out the right temperature can be tricky. You want to try it a few times until you get it right. The same herb might have different characteristics each time you get it.
- Maintenance: Even though vapes can be pretty simple, it’s easy for gunk and unnecessary filth to build up. Make sure you’re cleaning it regularly.