If you’re new to the world of vaping, have heard the terms Atomizer, Cartomizer, and Clearomizer before and are completely lost on their significance we are here to help. Most vape users have a preference for one or another of these devices. Let’s go into a bit more detail about each of them and give you a better idea of what you can expect when you make a purchase.
What is an Atomizer?
Atomizers are one of the earliest devices for the e-cig and vaping market. Most of them are limited in their capacity to hold herbs, which is typically what most vapers don’t like about them. Individuals who prefer dripping to dry herbs will enjoy atomizers over the other two types of vaporizers. While they do differ in design from brand to brand, most atomizers have a specialized heating coil at the bottom of the device which is covered with a mesh top. However, other atomizers use silica wicks instead of a mesh simply out of preference. There is also a great deal of clean up involved with atomizers in comparison to other units on the market.
Pros for Atomizers:
- Easy to switch between different flavors of juices
- Easy to understand design
- Extremely easy to refill
Cons for Atomizers:
- Low holding capacity (AKA not good for frequent vape users)
- Nearly impossible to see how much e-liquid left in tank
- Tedious to maintain
What is a Cartomizer?
In short, cartomizers are extremely similar in design to that of an atomizer. They have a polyfill wrapped around their heating coil which is the primary difference between the atomizer and the cartomizer. This polyfill absorbs e-liquid providing a lengthier vape cycle. Some units have an extremely large holding tank which cuts down on refills.
Pros for Cartomizers:
- They hold a greater amount of e-liquid than other types
- Are extremely affordable
- Easy to clean and easy to refill
- Can be rebuilt fairly easily
Cons for Cartomizers:
- Some vape users don’t like the taste the cartomizers leave in your mouth
- Isn’t always best for heavy vapers
- Can often taste like previous e-liquid thanks to the polyfill
What is a Clearomizer?
Clearomizers are the most modern form of vaporizers on the market. Usually cylindrical in shape and contain either a clear polycarbonate or pyrex glass tank, clearomizers live up to their name sake. The clear tank is incredibly convenient for refills and enables you to see precisely what you are vaping with. Some units come with a top heating coil with long wicks while others feature a bottom heating coil with a short wick.
Pros for Clearomizers:
- Large tanks and holding capacities
- Clear tank for easy viewing
- Rebuildable models
- Enhanced flavor
Cons for Clearomizers:
- Much more expensive
- Units often suffer from leaks
- Can be cumbersome to use
Ultimately the decision is yours between these three devices, but be sure and read over the devices instructions to get the most bang for your buck.